from Mimmo designer of Axis & Allies Total War

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.
Mimmo

from Mimmo designer of Axis & Allies Total War

Post by Mimmo » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:20 am

Dear Larry,

because of work commitments is a long time that I will not link to your forum.
Unfortunately I missed the purchase of Axis & Allies Anniversary, in fact I made the pre-order a lot of months in advance but, when the game was published, the on line store where I had ordered has canceled my order (!?).
I asked for explanations and they told me that the order was canceled by some "technical problems".
I submit a new order but the shipping cost they charge to me was absolutely insane, and then I definitively delete the order.
Unfortunately here in Thailand do not think that is being imported and in traditional stores I've ever found.
Then I read with regret that it is a “limited edition” and it is also out of production.
As I play Axis & Allies games since 1986, when I was 14 years and have all the other editions, I regret not being able to buy Anniversary.
In some websites I found it at 200 US dollars, but with all due respect to your product and the passion that I have for it, I seem a little 'too ...

But in the meantime I have read the Rules of Anniversary and I was pleased to note that some points coincide exactly with my Total War.
I like to think that even if the book I published here on your forum was written in Italian, you have translated at least in part, and he has inspired you in the new game.
I refer to the introduction of Italy ad playable power, turn to zero the transport attack factor and especially the national targets as the "Mare Nostrum", the "Lebensraum" and " The Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere".
In particular in the “Mare Nostrum” objective the “absence of Allies surface war ships in the Mediterranean” seems to copy / paste from my manual.

Obviously there can be no copyright on the historical facts really happened and historical terminologies recognized by all, but if you were inspired by my work (which it want to be a tribute to your previous games) I would be very honored. Really.

Now I am preparing to do the pre-order of Axis & Allies in 1942, hoping that there are no nasty surprises at the time of publication.

For the above mentioned points of course I’ll not take you to the court :lol: but at least one copy of Axis & Allies Anniversary signed by your hand send to me it will really appreciated ...
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Member of http://axisandallies.forumup.it, the FIRST Italian Forum on the web

Larry

Re: from Mimmo designer of Axis & Allies Total War

Post by Larry » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:35 pm

Mimmo,
Wow... too bad about your Anniversary game screw up.
I hope it works out for you eventually.
Thanks for your support and interest in Axis & Allies for so many years.
As for your Italian book or what ever it was (manual you said)... sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about.

I can't recall even seeing it and certainly would not take the time to translate your work into English. I just don't have that kind of time on my hands. I don't think that I'll be sending you a signed copy of the Anniversary game anytime soon.
:roll:

elbowsanchez

Post by elbowsanchez » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:26 pm

...well... if it was posted here, it is "yours anyways." No? big deal, keep posting your ideas Mimmo, even if by chance your ideas come into play, consider it the ultimate complement and game on :!: ...oh yes, keep buying the games too.

hmmmm, maybe I should start pimping Larry too, for all the great ideas "I've" given him ;)
-The evil Bert & friend

Mimmo

Post by Mimmo » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:54 am

elbowsanchez wrote:...well... if it was posted here, it is "yours anyways." No? big deal, keep posting your ideas Mimmo, even if by chance your ideas come into play, consider it the ultimate complement and game on :!: ...oh yes, keep buying the games too.

hmmmm, maybe I should start pimping Larry too, for all the great ideas "I've" given him ;)
Due to my poor English I think I don't' understand exactly what you mean, but - anyway - I remember that I have posted a copy of my Italian book rules here in this forum some time ago.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Member of http://axisandallies.forumup.it, the FIRST Italian Forum on the web

Harry

Post by Harry » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:50 am

elbowsanchez wrote:...well... if it was posted here, it is "yours anyways." No? big deal, keep posting your ideas Mimmo, even if by chance your ideas come into play, consider it the ultimate complement and game on :!: ...oh yes, keep buying the games too.

I like to think that I gave Larry Harris some ideas about bombers and DD's (and BB's) not being bought in Revised, and other suggestions, not that Larry didn't had a clue about the strats of top players,

(actually he don't, L.H is not a good player but a very good game designer, and should be considered as such) but if several experienced players give feedback, maybe some changes will be implemented in future A&A games.
And even if there is little chance that it was my specific detailed suggestions which made any difference, it makes me think that I contributed to improvements of AA50, and the soon to be released AA42. :)

elbowsanchez

Post by elbowsanchez » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:11 pm

Mimmo wrote: Due to my poor English I think I don't' understand exactly what you mean, but - anyway - I remember that I have posted a copy of my Italian book rules here in this forum some time ago.
my apologies,

Larry clearly states that all content posted on his forum are considered his property, that includes ideas; And making a post that impliies he stole something with out asking generally will get you a not so warm reply. Demands get similar reaction.

Now if you are just joking with him, well even that gets strange replies.

One last thing, with out his (Larry's) original idea of Axis & Allies, we would not even be having this discussion. A&A is Larry's idea, all the rest we see now are just leaves on his tree...
-The evil Bert & friend

elbowsanchez

Post by elbowsanchez » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:17 pm

Harry wrote:(actually he don't, L.H is not a good player but a very good game designer, and should be considered as such)
This is Larry's flaw if it is true. I would be curious to know what he considers experienced. I know a few that post here that fall into play, and even a couple were playtesters.

Who picks these experts? I'd like to be one sometime ;)
-The evil Bert & friend

Harry

Post by Harry » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:47 am

If I pick Classic as an example it is very unbalanced, but Classic was made and designed more than 20 years ago, so it shouldn't be regarded as any other than a great idea for a WW2 theme strategy game. And it was very funny even if it took less than 10 games to find out that the allied side was hopelessly biased.

Revised is much better, and it needs only 8-9 ipc in unit bids to balance the game. I guess L.H. got some assistance with the playtesting on Revised. Even if Revised is not completely balanced, imo, the playtesters did a good job.

And for AA50, it seems that so far, it is as balanced as Revised, meaning, any bids for balancing the game is at the same level as Revised, or even better. I did not play enough games w/o NOs yet, but the NOs is what makes AA50 fun, and so far, it seems that there's no need for unit bids which is at a higher level than Revised.