AaA placement

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.
Guerrilla Guy

AaA placement

Post by Guerrilla Guy » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:32 pm

Hey Mr. Harris how did you come up with the various placements for different countries? I realize some of it could be taken from previous knowledge like the emount of Aircraft Carriers the Japanese had and so forth, but for places like the Eastern Front? Was there a book or something
you took it from?

Thanks,
GG

Larry

Post by Larry » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:53 pm

As you surely realize, there is no exact correlation between historic numbers and what is place on the board. I did not try to show 120 Soviet divisions on the German front. My approach was more of a relative power comparison. If a given nation was historically 20 or 30% stronger than the enemy forces in a given neighboring territory I tried to capture that difference and reflect it in the set-up. This approach seemed to work well for me. Although it did not capture exact historic numbers, which I was not really interested in, it did capture relative balances of power.

Guerrilla Guy

Post by Guerrilla Guy » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:45 am

So was it more difficult to Power Comparison D-Day? I realize you guys were able to represent historical divisions that went in but there must have been some tinking to balance the game right?

GG

Larry

Post by Larry » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:24 pm

D-Day is based on actual historical units

V-2

Post by V-2 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:41 am

Mr. Harris,

I've always wondered about the initial set-up in Hawaii, which practically calls out for Pearl Harbour II, thereby practically driving America out of the Pacific theatre for the rest of the game. It doesn't seem realistic to me that America would leave ships exposed in a harbour that was just recently attacked. I was dissapointed to see it unchanged in the new revised version.

The last game of revised we played, we tried centralizing the Pacific American navy at Hawaii (move over the battleship and transport, add the Hawaiian fighter to the carrier). That way Japan can either attack it and suffer heavy losses, or ignore it and have a large American Naval presence in the Pacific. Either way makes America meddling in the Pacific a more viable option

I was wondering how you decided on this set-up for the American navy (and why it was kept in revised).

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:18 pm

It was not so much a Pear Harbor II that interested me. I was more intrigued by the possiblities of creating a Medway situation. As the set up- I think its ok... The US has a presence, not too big and not too small. Historically did we retreat from Pear? No. There was a real possibility of invasion at that time too.