thank you Larry, best map so far

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.
Mimmo

Post by Mimmo » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:08 am

BUT IT IS ORRIBLE !!!!!!!

Almost I almost regretted having done the pre-ordered months ago!
The physical map has nothing to do with the tradition of Axis & Allies historians. And ugly, and point enough.
It seems one of those home-made maps seens e so many time in some forums, and I'm sure I have already seen that map somewhere ...
The edges yellow border territories Chinese are a graphic insult the accuracy of previous maps.
The Italian tricolour marker is not the best but is politically acceptable.
The color of the Italian miniatures NO.
I mean ... I understand that Larry will have had its reasons and will have been subject to rules and contractual obligations with the publisher but I don't understand who have opted for that color there.
But look at the photograph 1 are almost equal to the Russian miniatures!
There is some reason for that?
It was no possible find any other color among the thousands available?
I really don't understand: why this horrbile brown (very similar to the Russian) YES and some more accurate light grey or green-grey NO.

[sorry for the post a little ' "strong" but the disillusionment and disappointment are too strong ...]
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Member of http://axisandallies.forumup.it, the FIRST Italian Forum on the web

Atlantikwall

Post by Atlantikwall » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:20 am

Italy does not border GER (which includes Austria). Strange! And imho also a huge disadvantage for the axis as it`s harder to keep it.

Dagon81

Post by Dagon81 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:10 am

The map is not ugly but Ive seen better efforts in Axis and Allies games IMO, with the recent beautiful Guadalcanal map coming to mind immediatly.

The brown italians, seem odd, they are in Europe and will battle the Russians also another brown...

Was expecting different Russian and British artillery, but thats ok. Nice to see a different British tank, the Italian artillery piece seems way too much like the Japanese one... arent they the same mold?

The italian fighter... is it a messerchmitt Bf 109 or a Macchi MC 202 Folgore?! they seem very similar, cant tell the difference but if its a Macchi folgore I feel proud! :)

Cruisers: UK and Russian cruiser...the same?! Italian and German cruiser the same...?! All in all, only two new mold cruisers...that makes no sense historically...
Budget cuts?! For 100$ we are going to pay...thats is really strange... thats why I always preffer to see some images and read reviews before pre-ordering... just dont go with the hype...

Was expecting to see Morocco and Algeria as separated territories... Nice to see Finland, Burma... British malaya would be nice too...

Now the real deal comes with the rules...stats...national advantages... we'll see.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:49 pm

Pieces rant: just repaint them the brown or Russian red
Territory rant: mark a line in Morocco to separate

The map is fantastic. Compare it to Revised, or bulge, or AAE, or D-DAy.

Its the same as Guadalcanal and i think its the same artist who made both based on the technique.

The map as a whole was traced for the first time like they actually referenced a real map. Compare Spain, Arabia and other locations to revised.

Its a huge improvement.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:57 pm

Come to think about it, Morocco and Algeria should be split into two territorires, and Italian units should be ligth grey, other than that, the new map is great, the best that is made so far, I love it.

Mimmo

Post by Mimmo » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:28 am

Anyway I’ll buy it in the same way as I did the pre-order months ago and I’m sure it will ultimately be a good product.
But I wanted to point out what, at first sight, just I do not like.
I do not understand the need for a physical map in a game that represents an overall view of the planet; a political map was more than enough. I do not think that in the present scale of the game is able to discern between different types of terrain.
What we make in Axis & Allies?
We conquered enemy territories, and then there was something better than a good map policy?

Europe (in any case the main theatre of war) seems too small compared to the map and, with the introduction of Italy; I would not want that created confusion on the board.
The Pacific is huge and, despite new rules and new objectives, I think we rarely see fighting in the areas of the South Pacific.

I am sorry to say but the miniatures are horrible.
I do not understand what was the commercial reasons that led to this choice but are just disgusting.
If we had to wait to see the debut of Italy in this way was better to leave everything in the hands of the Reich.
The colour does not make sense. Besides being ugly is too similar to the Russians. I still do not understand this choice instead of a more beautiful and more historically accurate grey-green or light grey.
OK, many of you have said you can always paint.
Okay, but if I have to spend 100 Dollars and then I must paint the miniatures too better I play to my game Total War that have painted my miniatures as I wanted!
As celebratory edition then I was expecting better accuracy, that is, use the same miniature German naval even for Italy is ugly.
If Italy had to be "thrown" on the board in this way it was better then, as mentioned above, leave everything in the hands of the Reich.
But I mean… the miniatures are made in China, will cost two Lira, what we wanted to make a beautiful Littorio or a beautiful Zara?
A brown Bismarck for the Italians… if I not see the pictures and someone tell me that I don’t believe!!
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Member of http://axisandallies.forumup.it, the FIRST Italian Forum on the web

MSO

Anniversary Edition Board Map

Post by MSO » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:33 am

Mimmo is right ... his appointments are corret about the board.

I'm sorry to say, but I think it's a stepback.

I was also waiting for the Mech Inf or any other pieces, along the cruisers.

Sergente_nella_neve

Post by Sergente_nella_neve » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:36 pm

Excuse me if my English is not so good... I'm the administrator of the unique Axis & Allies Italian Forum, and Mimmo's ideas are the same of all Italian A&A players represented in our forum.

Avalon Hill get a great feedback about her games by this forum, her forum (now closed) and the others forum on the world, but it seems they haven't heard our voices. Brown for the italian units is an horrible colour, and to use german mini's for representing italian NAVY units is a very BIG mistake. In WW2, Italy got 4th biggest fleet in the world, after UK, Japan and US fleet, and she got 115 submarines at the start of the war. If I have to spend 100$ (and I don't know how many Euros) for a celebrative game, I want it would be perfect.

I know that you, Larry, had a little voice about merchandise decisions, but we love you and your games, I think that to tell you our thoughts is the correct way to demonstrate our appreciation to you.

Thank you.
Creator and Administrator of A&A.IT, the first Italian Community of A&A players on the web

..::Sergente nella neve::..