A&A Market Garden Interest-Ideas

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.
thoes426

Post by thoes426 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:11 pm

Eastern Front should be addressed next, it is the most logical step in the process.

Thoes426 :twisted:
Strength lies not in defense but in attack.
Adolf Hitler

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:11 pm

Right how many games are we gonna see where its just Germans, UK and USA?

Enough. Give the Soviets a chance to be the focus of a real battle: Stalingrad where the war was decided. The rest of that fluff was only a sideshow and had little relevance to the long term conduct of the war.

Stalingrad only is the largest battle of that war. Kursk was a campaign and not a single battle because they had battles in both the north and south of the Salient.

Stalingrad , then Kursk would be best.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Dagon81

Post by Dagon81 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:42 am

Operation Market Garden would be diferent from D-Day and Battle of the Bulge, it would be a very interesting game. Some ideas:

Hex map;

Take Control of bridges, these can be destroyed and repaired (at least the smaller ones using bailey-bridges);

Supplies involved to allow hex units full strength attacks;

"Bombers" can act as supply carriers (or maybe a transport plane/or glider to drop extra units);

Supplies are dropped with random accuracy using D12 (a less than 6 they land in the exact hex, the other six numbers correspond to adjacent hexes);

Infantry units dont use supplies to move, only the others and cannot move outside roads, trucks available;

Fighters to make patrols;

9-10 turns;

New halftrack unit;

Victory points to strategic bridges, release British airborne objective and maybe towns;

Card based system to determine weather and which air units can fly;

In the Allied reinforcements, at least one airborne division (polish) to be placed (when weather permits) on board in chosen place using the random accuracy;

Allied air supremacy BUT german air units available;

These options make it certainly a good game, but first I vote for a Stalingrad game or Alamein.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:43 am

There are so many Stalingrad and East Front games out there, I dont think A&A will make money there.

The strong side of A&A is it combine land units and air units and naval units, all with beautiful high quality nation specific plastic pieces. It is important to understand the motivation of gamers who buy games with miniatures.

The next logical step of A&A, is to make a 1939 game, with french and Italian pieces, and a diplomatic system. This game will sell just because of the new pieces. Also make specific pieces of rockets , jets and heavy bombers, and it will be a success.

Dagon81

Post by Dagon81 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:42 am

Adlertag wrote:
There are so many Stalingrad and East Front games out there, I dont think A&A will make money there.
True...but there isnt one in the Axis & Allies line or with such potential. Also, AA: Battle of the Bulge only uses air and land units and was a success... D-Day doesnt use sea units too... so there is a lot of potencial in such games. They are balanced and fun with nation specific pieces. You dont see that a lot.

A 1939 game would be unbalanced because you would have to crowd Germany with red chips and France was also crowded... the fall of france was a great move by germany which cannot be represented in a world map or even an Europe game. Only a Bulge like game with Germany vs France and British would "MAYBE" bring a possible simulation. But then again...who would buy such game? There were no americans present...

I would like to see an Advanced 1942 game, a follow up to Revised with Italy and Vichy/Free France units and diplomacy.

Another pacific "Guadalcanal style" game I dont think makes sense for the next AA, so that leaves us with...an European or Africa battle. There are many options...

Stalingrad (no americans)
Kursk (no americans)
Alamein (no americans)
Battle of Britain (no americans)

Kasserine Pass
Market Garden
Southern France
Gothic Line

Now the question is: Avalon Hill's will to make a game without american forces present... thats risky. We have to understand that we are a small group of buyers... so our opinion barely counts in such decisions. But I hope they take the risk.

Anyway, there must be an Axis and Allies Release Schedule for 2008 coming soon...so lets wait! :)

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:22 pm

You got a point there, Dragon81. Maybe its time for a A&A World War I game ?

Axis : Germany, Austria, Italy and Turkey

Allies: Britain, France, USA and Russia

Its a balanced conflict, with lots of nation specific plastic to the junkies

matsterman

Post by matsterman » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:58 pm

Well, needless to say there is room for at least ten more years of games,lol...

We have ideas for a :

Stalingrad, or instead the Whole Russian Front for that matter
Africa
Market Garden
World War 1 scenario

I for one would like to see an Island Hopping Pacific game, in the genre of the Battle Cry game,but thats a different post

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:27 pm

matsterman wrote: I for one would like to see an Island Hopping Pacific game, in the genre of the Battle Cry game,but thats a different post
When I get my Guad-game, I will playtest the rules on my old A&A Pacific game. Guess the Hidden Sea Movement will spice up the old game