Next A&A game setting

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.

Which should be the next game?

Stalingrad
42%
Philippines
No votes
North Africa
42%
China
No votes
16%

Total votes: 38

Emperor_Taiki

Re: Next A&A game setting

Post by Emperor_Taiki » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:30 pm

In Hanz Guderian's book Panzer Leader he says that If hitler had sent two panzer divisions to Libya in 1940 the british would have likly been defeated and would have possibly surrended if they lost egypt and the rest of the middle east. Guderian said however that Hitelr persoanly was much more interested in the fighting in Europe and did not think africa or the middle east were important as he thought the british were going to surrender or conclude an armastice soon anyways.

At this time Churchill was beeing sharply citicized for his running of the war and their were multilple pro-axis uprising in the middle east aswell as plans for the luftwaffe to began basing on airfields in still Vichy contolled syria , a major defeat in the middle east could have broken Britian's will, and it most certainly would have caused a removal of Churchill.

Mimmo

Post by Mimmo » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:23 am

Vader218 wrote: Personal insult ...
Hardly, just call it an opinion shared by many (even by your "Allies").
We were dragged into war by a megalomaniac who hoped for an easy German victory in the war itself and led by a War Staff of incompetents who do not even know what goals to pursue but just waiting for the German victory.
Italian intervention in World War II can be criticized of everything but not that we were cowards.
The Italian soldier has always stood on all war fronts by value and courage even in conditions of great learned forces.

Coming back to topic I think that a game set in North Africa would be rather interesting.
Where the major features should be quick actions of tanks in the desert and the supply lines all considering the harsh environmental conditions that should be played in the regulation.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Member of http://axisandallies.forumup.it, the FIRST Italian Forum on the web

Sergente_nella_neve

Post by Sergente_nella_neve » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:07 am

The fact that Italian soldiers in WW2 were cowards is false. The modern history estabilished this with no doubts.

You can read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_h ... rld_War_II

In the bottom of the page there's a section specifically dedicated to this.
Creator and Administrator of A&A.IT, the first Italian Community of A&A players on the web

..::Sergente nella neve::..

Vader218

Post by Vader218 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:00 pm

"From August 1942 to February 1943, the Italian 8th Army took part in the Battle of Stalingrad. At Stalingrad, the 8th Army suffered heavy losses (some 20,000 dead and 64,000 captured) when the Soviets isolated the German forces in Stalingrad by attacking the over-stretched Hungarian, Romanian, and Italian forces protecting the German's flanks."

If only the flanks had been protected by non-faltering troops ...

http://www.lifeinitaly.com/history/world-war-2.asp

Except for the crack units (Alpini and Voloire according to this article) the majority of Italian forces seemed uninterested to fight and surrendered by the thousands.

Mimmo

Post by Mimmo » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:37 am

Dear Chariman,

Many thanks for your appreciation of my work!
Exactly a week ago, I had printed the map in the final and definitive version after several months of suspension of work due to relocation of our office where our game is always mounted on a permanent basis.

Thanks to a friend who has created a mod of Total War for Cyberboard application now I'm doing the last playtest very fast and easy.

I am very interested in your version set during the Italian campaign, if you can not upload the photos in this forum I kindly ask you to send someone directly to my inbox at mimmo2515@hotmail.com because I’m very interested in seeing them.

I think the idea that Germany can take control of Italian territories is correct, both from the historical point of view both in terms of play.
In fact, after the shameful page of 8 September 1943 Germany, for example, take the control of the Veneto and Friuli Venezia Giulia regions, see also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prealpine_Operations_Zone
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Member of http://axisandallies.forumup.it, the FIRST Italian Forum on the web

Eagle

Post by Eagle » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:12 pm

I cant vote, what do I wrong ?

Caractacus

Post by Caractacus » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:20 pm

Vader218 wrote:"From August 1942 to February 1943, the Italian 8th Army took part in the Battle of Stalingrad. At Stalingrad, the 8th Army suffered heavy losses (some 20,000 dead and 64,000 captured) when the Soviets isolated the German forces in Stalingrad by attacking the over-stretched Hungarian, Romanian, and Italian forces protecting the German's flanks."

If only the flanks had been protected by non-faltering troops ...
If only they had been equipped with anti-tank equipment...

Vader218 wrote:http://www.lifeinitaly.com/history/world-war-2.asp

Except for the crack units (Alpini and Voloire according to this article) the majority of Italian forces seemed uninterested to fight and surrendered by the thousands.
The front these smaller nations were holding was long and the support they had wretched. They performed badly, but under the circumstances (I was startled when I read the statistics concerning the Russian build up before the attack, and I thought I knew about Russian industrial production...) most nations' troops deployed under similar conditions would have done.

It's a little bit simplistic to assume that that Italians are cowards because they lost major battles. Examining the state of their army at the outbreak of war (I refer equally to mid-1940), looking at the training, equipment, staff work, commitment to the cause for which they fought etc, and it's no wonder that they were unsuccessful.

Unlike the extremely driving force of Nazi ideology, Italian fascism never infected a sufficient amount of the population 'properly'. Fear of the Left drove an initial reaction, but it never gained the status of a racial superiority movement - although that is not to say that Mussolini did not promote the idea of 'la razza', it just didn't take root.

If you remove training, equipment and reason to fight from any given army, it frequently ceases to be a particularly effective force.

I voted North Africa but it didn't work, so:

North Africa
Market Garden
Stalingrad

In that order...
Caractacus.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:27 pm

WW1 should be the next one, new pieces, new system, new everything.

Now you got to start something new and not rest on past glory.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.