Axis & Allies 1914 WORLD WAR 1

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.
WILD BILL

Re: Axis & Allies 1914 WORLD WAR 1

Post by WILD BILL » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:59 pm

Very exciting news for AA, and a nice tribute to the era.

1) Has the the role of artillery been reworked or maybe different types with combat or movement restriction to change the mechanism of battles.

1a) Maybe attacking art aren't able to move in combat (limited mobility), and only fire limited bombardment from behind the lines so the front lines consist of a mostly inf feeding what Larry calls "The Meat Grinder".

1b) Maybe artillery in defensive position fire first as enemy inf attack (first strike ability) showing how difficult advancement was in trenches of Belg/France.

2) Will there be some kind of defensive mechanism that will allow for their dug in or trench type positions. Maybe the attacking units have lower modifiers (or Def units higher mods) in the first round of battle or something showing the difficulty in leaving their own positions and attacking a well fortified enemy.

3) Territories, will certain areas have wide slivers of ground instead of the traditional larger spaces showing smaller gains as you take ground.

4) Russia, will there be some kind of timeline, or trigger for the change in government and them pulling out of the war? Same for the US entering the war?

5) The Map, will it be fully global or 2/3 global covering from Eastern US into the Middle East or maybe India. Will Anzac and India be represented as UK units entering the war through Egypt, or will there be a commonwealth unit? Will the map stretch to E US (US needs transports etc..), or will American units just enter through England, or embattled territories in Western Europe.

6) Having Turkey (Ottoman Empire) as one of the Central powers and not neutral is going to be very different, looking forward to that.

7) When is this game coming out? Maybe this coming summer or fall? You (Larry) make it sound as if it's going into production soon!!

8) I found this video helpful giving some background of the war, and advancements both sides made. I'm more of a visual aid guy LOL. It also provides a timeline.

http://storiesofusa.com/ww1-battles-tim ... 1914-1918/
Last edited by WILD BILL on Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vancerator

Post by Vancerator » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:15 pm

Wow! This is going to be great!

Will there be a rule whereby under certain conditions the governments of Russia or Germany may be overthrown by revolution?

oztea

Post by oztea » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:20 pm

This sounds interesting.

pellulo

Post by pellulo » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:21 pm

Congrats Larry!, someone has to ask, will there be minis?, thank you, Pellulo
Pellulo

SithlordRPGA

Post by SithlordRPGA » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:27 am

It would be nice if Turkey gets it's own new color (not used in A&A) and the other nations all used the standard color in the current game.

I just want to be able to use Turkey pieces from this game for my Global war games for Turkey.

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:11 am

What units are included???
Infantry, artillery, tanks, fighters, submarines, battleships, cruisers, transports.

D6 or D12?
D6, but lots of them

I suspect the usual suspects in the game:
Germany
Austria-Hungary
Ottomans
Russians
UK
France
Italy
USA
Yes, and many minor powers

Map size?
I think it’s the same size as Europe 40

Are the sculpts all the same except infantry, or you got two sets of sculpts one for allies and one for central powers?
Each major power (eight of them) have their own infantry sculpts. Other sculpts are either allied or Central Power’s artillery, tanks or fight aircraft... and of course the naval lineup.

Special rules for Russian Revolution and American entry?
There are special Russian Revolution rules, as well as special American entry rules.

Convoy zones?
Not exactly... but there is an unrestricted submarine warfare moment during the Collect Income phase.

Tech tree with at least 12 choices?
No tech tree...

will it be to AA42, AA41 or AA40 scale and complexity?
If I understand this question correctly I’d say it’s just left (meaning easier than) of AA42.

How many players will it be for and how many nations will be playable?
This can be a 2 or 8 player game or any number in between.

How will the Western Front be simulated in the game?
I don’t want to get too deep into this. I will say, that there is only one round of combat dice rolling per turn per battle. The game, IMHO, feels very Western Front as you play it. It’s very cool and interesting how this system works and plays out. I like how it feels.

And since this starts in 1914, I wonder how the nations that opted to stay neutral in the beginning will be played. Many minor powers are neutral initially, including the US, which if not attacked by the Central Powers will enter the war on turn 4.

I also wonder what the nation colors will be...
Particularly Austria-Hungary and the Ottoman Empire.
I think you will like the colors. Some of them are your standard colors and others are brand new. Germany will be grey.

What's the release date? March or April 2013

The Map, will it be fully global or 2/3 global covering from Eastern US into the Middle East or maybe India. Will Anzac and India be represented as UK units entering the war through Egypt, or will there be a commonwealth unit? Will the map stretch to E US (US needs transports etc..), or will American units just enter through England, or embattled territories in Western Europe.
The map will range from Bombay to NYC and from the top of Norway to South Africa

Having Turkey (Ottoman Empire) as one of the Central powers and not neutral is going to be very different, looking forward to that.
Yeah.. it’s a fun power to manage, but then again... they all are! Of course, as usual, its’ hard to resist the desire to play an aggressive Germany!

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:44 am

You might want to call the Battleships... Dreadnoughts. This is the age of Dreadnoughts.

No destroyers seems strange. They were used to make smokescreens.

Tanks i hope are not immediately available. Thats why i asked about technology.

I hope you use my old idea about having artillery and rail-guns fire first before battles. Remove losses and other units fire.

Planes were used for observation more than direct combat on ground units.

Bombers didn't bomb factories till latter in the war.

Sad to see no Zeppelins. :cry:

I will buy 12 copies of this game, increased from the usual 6.

I can guarantee this game will sell out and expect $300 for a copy by 12/13

I have never been more proud of you and this franchise. It will be the greatest game. With any luck you can make another version including the Pacific and make a colonial empires game with a 1905 scenario ( Moroccan crisis).
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Vincent

Post by Vincent » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:20 am

Okay, so there is no tech tree. Is there still a mechanism to delay the entry of tanks in the war? Maybe they are not available until turn 5 or 6, or until some other condition is met?

Arabian Peninsula: Maybe one free infantry per turn (or every other turn) for the British, to represents Col. Lawrence's recruitment of Arab tribes?

Will aircraft be able to have combat with ships?

Will aircraft get their own dice rolls vs. ground troops (i.e. be able to actually destroy an infantry corps all by themselves)? Or just be able to modify the odds of a hit when supporting friendly ground troops?

I can see why there wouldn't be cavalry on the Western front, but on the Eastern front also? The warfare there was a bit more mobile, as there was a much lower density of troops per square mile of territory.

I gather the map will be similar in size and scope to territory represented as the Europe 40 map. Will it be divided into more territories? In other words, will Germany have to win more than one battle to be sipping champagne in Paris?
Last edited by Vincent on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.